The JRA is responsible for the construction, operation, control, rehabilitation and maintenance of the roads and stormwater infrastructure in the City of Johannesburg. The main responsibilities include the construction and/or maintenance of bridges/culverts, traffic signals/traffic signal systems, footways, road signage and road markings.
Reporting a road issue to the JRA was a challenge for both the road user and the JRA.
Pain Points of the road user
- I don't know how to report an issue on the road? This traffic light has been out for weeks.
- I know I should report this issue, but the process is just too painful and there is no guarantee they will even attend to my issue. They never attended to my previous one.
- Hmmmm, I lodged a complaint months ago and there is still a pothole outside my driveway.
- The service centre is completely inefficient. Its just not worth the effort.
Pain Points of the JRA
- Did the contractors actually attend to the job? They've already sent an invoice for payment.
- This service request doesn't have an area code. Which contractor should I send?
- We are receiving too many complaints about poor service delivery.
- Every time it rains the call centres are overloaded, How can we prevent this from happening?
The Find & Fix app is an Intervate developed customised app for the JRA. The purpose of the Fix & Find App is to simplify and enhance communication between Johannesburg Road Agency (JRA) and the road users, to enable the JRA to process the service requests of citizens, to resolve road issues and to enable road users to share road issues.
Benefits of the Find&Fix App
Pain Points of the road user
- Find & Fix app can be downloaded onto their smartphone (Windows 8, iOS, and Android) which is equipped with a camera, GPS and internet connectivity.
- Users report issues hassle free, using a simple and intuitive interface.
- Users can track the status of all their reported service requests.
- Users can view other’s issues on a map.
- App notifications can be enabled to be informed when an issue has been addressed by the JRA.
- Urgent issues are addressed quickly as the more submissions for an issue, the issue is escalated within the JRA.
For the JRA
- The built in Global Positioning System (GPS) on the smartphone ensures the contractors attend to the issue in the correct location.
- The photos more accurately describe the road issue, so the JRA ensure the correct contractors are sent to address the issue and arrive at the location with the correct tools.
- Issues reported get intelligently and automatically linked and grouped to avoid duplicate service requests (for example, if 1000 road users all report the same traffic light).
- Multiple reports of the same incident increases the priority of items.
- Geofencing features ensure that issues in particular geo-fenced areas can get assigned to specific service agents automatically.
- Workflow is enabled to ensure issue accountability and timeous resolution.
- The JRA can view a dashboard of issue summary and are able to track progress of issue closure.
THE FMC FRAMEWORK
The FMC framework is multi-tenant capable and allows geo-fencing of regions to determine where or to whom an issue reported should be escalated to. The framework can also be utilised in a variety of ways and across multiple industries, since the application is flexible and easily adapted. (retail store setting, health and safety issues in an industrial plant)